Wednesday, March 24, 2010

GarageBand & Midi Songs

I really enjoyed myself last night in class. The more I attend class and get to use a Mac the more I want to have one! I started a project with a friend six months ago buying pieces needed to build a computer on-line. I've always wanted to learn how to build my own PC. This was pre-class. Now I want to buy a Mac, but the problem is my friend has already purchased the parts to build the computer. Yes, I could ask him to resell the parts on-line. However, we've already had the conversation once about purchasing a Mac verses a PC. He is adamant that he believes Mac's are way over priced! I would tend to agree that the Mac are a little over priced, but then I come to class and learn that I could take piano and guitar lessons through Garage Band! It is an interesting dilemma that will work itself out.

I did know anything about Midi's before last night. I could see where importing them into Garage Band could be hours of fun. Regarding the issue whether or not what we created was an original piece of work was intriguing. I would lean toward, "No". We are working off of a piece of art that was created by someone else. The alterations that we were making are not sufficient enough to be called a new piece of art. Anyway, that is my 2-cents. Great class!

1 comment:

  1. I applaud you and your friend for planning on building a pc from scrap, that's very ambitious.

    I agree with you about transforming midi files through garage band not being an original piece of work. The new music file that we created is more of an individual's interpretation and expression on top of the original piece of music. Think of it as a house: We kept the original foundation, structure, and layout, we just changed the color of the walls and added our own decorative style. We didn't make enough changes to call it "our own", but there are ways we can do that.

    ReplyDelete